Monday, February 28, 2011

Hooked on Phonics


Andy and I decided to order Hooked on Phonics last week for Sophia. It just arrived in the mail today. I am doing my homework this afternoon on learning what to do and how much and when we should be teaching this to Sophia. Sophia got all great reports from Mrs. Addler at her conference a couple of weeks ago. One thing her teacher mentioned was Sophia knows her ABC's and sounds but she just really needs to say them at a faster pace so she can start putting sounds together faster to make words and start reading. Andy and I have been working on flash cards with her and now she has mastered that, I have been doing workbooks on a daily basis, but I don't want her to get sick of us stating "Sophia I want to work with you". I want her to get excited about it so I thought we should change it up a little and do a couple different teaching styles. So we are on our road to hooked on phonics with her, watch out Sophia you will be reading no time flat! The package we got for her comes with books, workbooks, DVDs, stickers and we can go online to get more homework for her at anytime. It came with Kindergarten Levels 1 and 2 so we will get a lot of use out of it. I hope for the best with Sophia and Andy and I in all our free time we have these days!
I can't believe the things these little kids need to master by the end of the year, reading, knowing how to write numbers up to 31, math, graphing numbers, patterns, writing story books etc. What happen to the days where it was just "fun time" snack time and nap now it is really doing so much more wow!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment